At The Benjamin Foundation, we aim to provide the best support services to everyone we work with by using ‘The Nurtured Heart Approach®’
Developed by Howard Glasser, this approach allows us to turn the most challenging situations toward success by focusing on individual skills and qualities and promoting our ‘inner wealth’. The Nurtured Heart Approach® is used in all our services with very positive results.
At the core of the Approach are ‘The 3 Stands’ – All three are necessary promises that we must be determined to keep if we are to create nurturing habits and make big changes:
- Absolute NO – Resolutely not putting any energy into mistakes made, wrong-doing or negative behaviours.
- Absolute YES – Making a big deal of detailing any and every great quality, success or positive behaviour.
- Clarity of rules, and consequences that are known and agreed; fair, restorative, short and meaningful.
Looking at what is right rather than wrong takes continual practice, but has amazing results! The Nurtured Heart Approach® is much more than what’s written here; it takes time to learn, a desire to change and motivation to let go of past problems.
25 of our staff are Certified Trainers in the Nurtured Heart Approach® and can share their expertise with parents, outside agencies and other staff members. All of our staff receive training and are supported to use the Nurtured Heart Approach® in their day to day work and we’re dedicated to ensuring they develop their knowledge and use of the approach to strengthen relationships with individuals, within families, and with colleagues.
Clear rules and consequences are established in partnership with the young people who use our services. They are used alongside emphasising everyone’s successes. Other examples of how we use The Nurtured Heart Approach® when working with children, young people and families are:
- Parent Support Advisers work with parents to show them how to use the Nurtured Heart Approach® to increase enjoyment of family life.
- Time for You Support Workers provide emotional well-being support and model the Nurtured Heart Approach® when working directly with children in schools.
- One to one working with young people across our accommodation centres in Norfolk and Suffolk – staff work with children and young people every day to help them move forward in their lives, build confidence and help them be proud of who they are.
- Direct work with children attending our pre-schools and breakfast and after-school clubs – every day our nursery staff encourage children to recognise their own positive qualities and behaviours and to really see the things they do well! ‘Greatness’ words are used in our Early Years Settings to help children learn vocabulary for the greatness they and others around them are showing.