Sleep Out 2017
Norwich and Ipswich events, November 2017
This year we will have two Sleep Out events - one each in Norwich and Ipswich. This reflects that in 2016 we started delivering homelessness work in Ipswich and elsewhere in Suffolk in addition to our work in Norwich and around Norfolk.
We are working to confirm exact dates and venues but it's likely these will take place on Friday nights.
If you want to take yourself out of your comfort zone whilst supporting a charity working in Norfolk and Suffolk this is the event for you!
2017 will be the third year of our Sleep Out events which highlight the issue of homelessness and raise money to support our work with local homeless young people.
This event will never replicate the hardship faced by those who are homeless. However, we want the event to bring to life the challenges of sleeping outside.
Why A Sleep Out?
We are part of the national End Youth Homelessness campaign alongside other charities who also support homeless young people between the ages of 16 and 25. Homelessness is one of the key areas of our work and at any one time we are providing a home and support to over 100 young people in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Each year all the charities in the End Youth Homelessness campaign organise their own Sleep Out events in November to highlight the issue and raise money to provide extra support to the people affected. All money raised at our Sleep Out events will help our work locally.
The Sleep Out is not meant to be a comparison to the life a homeless person leads but people who took part last year have told us that it did give them a better appreciation of the hardships faced. For more details on the events around the country click here www.sleep-out.org.uk
Where and When?
Venues and dates are tbc but will be in November 2017.
Our Sleep Out events start at7pm and end at 7am the following morning.
What Happens At The Event?
- We will have car parking at or close to each venue.
- Check in is from 7pm to 8pm. During the evening we will show a short video and give a talk about our support for young people who would otherwise be homeless.
- This is an outdoor event and there is unlikely to be a roof overhead.
- Some hot food will be provided free of charge during the evening.
- We hope to provide some music from a local singer.
- From 11pm we ask participants to keep noise to a minimum to respect others taking part and neighbours who may be asleep.
- Hot drinks will be available to make yourself throughout the night.
- We will provide some hot breakfast free of charge from 6am to 7am when the event ends.
What You Should Bring
- A sleeping bag
- Plenty of layers of warm and waterproof clothing including a hat and gloves
- Cardboard to put down under your sleeping bag – it helps keep out the cold and is a little softer than the tarmac car park.
- Your own snacks and drinks if you wish.
- We'd prefer you not to bring alcohol.
What's It Like Doing A Sleep Out?
Lesley Brinkley was one of the 70 people who took part in our 2015 Sleep Out. She's kindly shared her thoughts with us about the event.
"To find yourself homeless without home comforts, employment, money and being alone is very daunting. This can be triggered off by numerous situations often without any desire of the person involved. After sleeping just one night out in the elements (with warning so I had thermals, waterproofs and company) I felt very humble. I wa tired, drained and would not like to have to spend another night outside or wander around with nowhere to go.
After the Sleep Out I could return home and have a hot shower and I decided that without these luxuries there is no way I would be motivated: I would need a home to secure work and work to secure a home so it's a vicious circle. The Benjamin Foundation reaches out to people before this occurs and helps to solve family issues and give a chance to people.
I was pleased I had the opportunity to experience the Sleep Out, it has given me plenty of food for thought ."
How To Sign Up
When the events for 2017 are confirmed we will set up an event page on Virgin Money Giving and post a link here.
If you would prefer not to sign up on Virgin Money Giving then please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place. Once your place has been confirmed then you can download a sponsorship form here
Please email email@example.com if you have any other queries.
Note: This event is only for those aged 18 years and above.